Monday 1 December 2014

At the ripe old age of 75, I learned something today. A young man came to see me with the ambition to train as a makeup artist or stage manager, he wasn't  quite sure which! Had I been much younger, I would have dismissed him after 10 mins.  However, I listened to him and we spoke for 2 hours.  I then realised how misguided and wrong his school and parents had been in not realising how important it is that he gets hands on experience in hairdressing, wig making and dressing, backstage work, including makeup, in the local theatre, etc, The problem too is these "Media Makeup" courses in government colleges which, as far as I can see, are a monetary exercise to encourage 'bums on seats', attracting people who live in a dream world, and who in most cases have no artistic flair whatsoever! I am not the best person to help him, but I have tried to point him in the right direction.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment