Saturday 5 July 2014

Cheaper is never the better option

Two students were going to enroll on private one-to-one 8-day bespoke courses with me have cancelled, saying they have found somewhere shorter and cheaper! I asked them who it was, they both gave me different names and I haven't heard of either of them! I AM SPEECHLESS!  (Those of you who have trained with me know that I don't do speechless very often).
The fact that I am an Expert Witness and these future 'technicians' may have to face me in the courtroom will be frightening enough for them, but what about the lovely clients who spend their hard-earned money with us in order to keep themselves looking good, and it all goes wrong?
I would be so pleased if some of you would write comments on this post, especially any of my students, past and present, and my wonderful colleagues who are also renowned  teachers in the UK.

2 comments:

  1. As an ex student all that I can say is that they are making a mistake. Our sector seems flooded by cheap (and not so cheap!) short courses usually without any accreditation so it is not possible or overly expensive for students to gain insurance with the certification given which is necessary in the UK to obtain a license. Let alone the fact that they do not provide sufficient training, these courses seem often run by those not experienced enough to teach who are motivated purely by profit. It is hard to be a permanent make up technician, without the right start it will be very difficult and it will cost them much more in the long run in gaining adequate training that they will likely need, aftercare support is essential as is the correct materials for the job. It is a shame but with increased coverage and information readily available I feel that it is now much easier to make an informed choice. I hear so often the same thing from technicians who have had a poor start...I didn't know any better, I wanted a quicker cheaper course, I thought it was easier...

    Victoria Ammoscato

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is an unfortunate issue at this time. It would appear many inexperienced technicians are starting 'training' with 1-3 years experience!!! 'it was cheaper' and 'it was a quicker route in' are what I too often hear. Having been in the industry for 8 years with a recognised teaching qualification, it is clear to me that the skill set and knowledge required to teach this subject is a huge responsibility and one which must be met with quality, safety and student satisfaction at the forefront of what we do. It is hard enough to maintain a good reputation for our industry when we have people with no formal qualifications of the long term experience and knowledge jumping in because they see the profit signs....... It is a real shame and one the industry will regret.

    ReplyDelete